Sunday

Palatine Hill and all of Rome mourns

August 19, AD 14-
All of Rome mourns on this sad day. My beloved husband has died. He has left me 1/3 of the property and the rest to my son and his successor, Tiberius. In his will, he adopted me into the Julian family and granted me the title of Augusta, a VERY great honor. I feel as if my heart will break. I must go.

Dum cras,
Livia Drusilla AUGUSTA
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:
Augustus did die on this day while he was visiting Nola, the place of his father's death. His famous last words were "Did you like the performance," referring to the play-acting he had put on as an emperor. On the day of his burial, all private and public businesses closed to honor the dead emperor.

No comments: