Sunday

Octavian is emperor at last!

November 15, 31 BC-
My husband Octavian has been named emperor of the Roman empire! You know what that means? I am a Roman empress! One of the reasons that Octavian has gotten this high is because of the suicide of Marc Antony after the battle of Actium. Since then, Octavian has had no more opposition to his rising power. I must say that he has risen in power quite quickly! I do not know much of what has happened outside these walls of my house on Palatine Hill, for I do not delight in war. It has been quite lonely around here though because of all the recent battles. Hopefully, now that he is emperor, he will settle down and we can be together.

Until later,
Livia Drusilla
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:
Though I do not know exactly when Octavian became emperor, Marc Antony did commit suicide after Octavian's forces cut of his retreat in Egypt. He stabbed himself with his own sword. After that, Octavian's power grew rapidly, which led to his becoming an emperor. It wasn't until later that he became known as Caesar Augustus.

No comments: